Sunday, June 8, 2008

Chickenuggety - putting value on what kids eat

When my six year old son said the other day that something he was eating tasted "chickennuggety" -referring to his favorite meal at McD's, I thought it might be time for a change in our diet.


In my quest to feed my family, I have found, for me, that it is a constant tug of war between healthy eating and prepared foods. Yeah, yeah, I know the American philosophy is that you can have instant prepared healthy food! Have your cake and eat it too. But I feel that so much is missing still. I am one of those "Natural" girls at heart and I have always felt a pull towards the organic, granola way of life. So, in my quest, I have discovered the french food philosophy! After research, and reading some books and cookbooks, ("Barefoot in Paris" -Ina Garten, "French Women Don't Get Fat" -Mireille Guiliano, "French Food at Home" - Laura Calder) I see that there are a few things the french do, that I do not.
1.The French eat fresh, and value the region. I didn't think about the fact that a tomato grown in California will taste different that one grown in Colorado. I never liked tomatoes until I grew them from my own garden.
2.The French see that less really is more. Good quality food that takes time and some effort to make or find, has concentrated flavors and more value. So we tend to eat less of it. It is much richer. ex. Homemade artisan bread vs. "wonder".
3. The French also keep a "contained variety" in their kitchen. They have accessible ingredients in their home all the time so they always have enough at home to make something good.
In the past my "contained variety" has been frozen pepperoni or cheese pizzas. - I don't think the French would count that.
I am going to try this summer to do a few things different. Some of which are: working on baking a mean loaf of bread, shopping the farmer's markets, and keeping a healthy "contained variety" in my kitchen so I don't have to worry about making something I don't have ingredients for.
And maby I will lose a couple of pounds along the way!

P.S. my husband asked me if I was going to write about our sex life. I said probably not. He said, "I wish you would, mabey we would get more hits" -Ha, ha

No comments: